CHEF'S RESERVE NEW JERSEY (VEGAN) WILD RICE BURGER
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice (or 1 1/3 cups cooked wild rice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup small-diced onion
- 1/3 cup small-diced celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh or panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded aged Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
Burger buns and toppings (optional)
If you are using uncooked wild rice, cook it according to package instructions. Cool completely. (Can make a day ahead and refrigerate.)
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and sauté onions, celery, and garlic until onion is translucent. Set the skillet aside (no need to wash).
In a large bowl, combine onion-celery-garlic mixture with wild rice, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, oregano, thyme, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Cool completely and then add eggs, stirring to combine.
Divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape each into 1/2-inch-thick patties.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the nonstick skillet over medium heat. Fry patties 2 to 3 minutes on each side until crisp and golden.