WILD RICE MEATLOAF
WILD RICE MEATLOAF
Makes 6 Servings • Recipe by Executive Chef Jason Cole, Tria Restaurant. 5959 Centerville Rd, North Oaks, MN 55127
2½ pounds lean ground beef
cup cooked Bineshii Gourmet, Chef's Reserve or Ghost wild rice. (Cook according to label directions.)
½ cup chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon peeled and chopped garlic
¾ cup shredded mozzarella
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Prepare the wild rice: Heat 6 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium pot until simmering, add wild rice and cook until soft and rice begins to pop, about 25 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F.
3. Combine the cooled wild rice, onion, garlic, mozzarella, eggs, rosemary, remaining 1 tablespoon salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.
4. Add the beef and thoroughly mix.
5. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and coat the paper with cooking spray.
6. Form the meat mixture into a loaf in the pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour or until the internal temp reaches 165°F.
7. While the meatloaf is cooking prepare the Wild Mushroom Demi-glace (see recipe
8. When meatloaf is done, remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Pull from the pan and slice and serve.
9. Serve with Wild Mushroom Demi-glace (recipe below) or beef gravy.
Wild Mushroom Demi-glace
Makes 6 servings • Recipe by Executive Chef Jason Cole, Tria Restaurant.
¼ cup olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and diced very small
2 cups wild mushrooms (shiitake, cremini and oyster)
2 ounces ruby port wine
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
16 ounces (2 cups) beef demi-glace (see Cook’s Note Below)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
salt and pepper, to taste.
1. Add olive oil to a large skillet and sauté the shallots and wild mushrooms over medium heat until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Deglaze the pan with ruby port. Add the thyme and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Add prepared demi-glace to the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Add butter and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook’s Note: Find ready-made beef demi-glace in specialty stores and some grocery stores or order online. Any family-style mushroom beef gravy can serve as a substitute for the Wild Mushroom Demi-glace.